Here be Dragons Museum Exhibit
“Here Be Dragons” – No Longer a Warning.
An Invitation from
The Museum of Discovery and Science
In medieval times unexplored areas were labeled on maps with the words “hic sunt dracones” – “Here be dragons”. This was meant to deter people from daring to move past the known to the unknown. Danger lurked there. People needed to stay away.
The very words those mapmakers used as a warning, the Museum of Science and Discovery proudly proclaims to draw people in. “Here Be Dragons” is the latest offering in the Museum’s series of traveling exhibits and is sponsored by Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital., The exhibit runs from May 22 to September 6 with a Members Only Preview on May 22 from 9 am to 10 am. All members receive a free gift.
- See 10 Species of live lizards, including the albino green iguana, plumed basilisk, black throat monitor, European legless lizard, roughneck monitor, Egyptian uromastyx, Chinese water dragon, frilled dragon, bearded dragon and clubtail iguana.
- View the Dino Dana The Movie, Galapagos 3D and Dinosaurs in Antarctica IMAX films
- Stomp through Prehistoric Florida exhibit, and see other unbelievable animals from the past.
- Visit the Ecoscapes exhibit and see several amazing reptiles, native to Florida.
- Hang with Delilah, MODS’ fire-breathing “dragon” engineered and brought to life in The Hangar.
- Make and take your own mini-version of Delilah and watch it breathe “smoke” with the help of our STEM team.
- Meet a Museum animal keeper and discover what it takes to care for the exotic reptiles featured in the Here Be Dragons traveling exhibit
The Museum of Discovery and Science has a number of membership options for individuals and families large and small. Visit mods.org to see all the fascinating displays, exhibits, movies and programs available to visitors.
401 SW Second Street
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312