Deerfield Beach Pier Cleanup Attempts Guinness Book World Record
By Marie Puleo, Deerfield Beach News Reporter
On June 15 Dixie Divers diving center will host the 2019 Deerfield Beach Pier Cleanup and Guinness Book of World Records attempt for longest underwater human chain.
For one day a year the City of Deerfield Beach closes the pier to fishing and opens it for underwater scuba divers to facilitate a reef cleanup. The pier has some of the most active and abundant marine life in all of Deerfield Beach. This once-a-year event is a stellar opportunity for divers to explore the usually forbidden area.
Divers will be able to dive around and under the pier from 9am until 11am. Volunteers are also needed on land to help pull out buckets of trash. The City of Deerfield Beach will keep records of the trash’s weight and composition. Dixie Divers will videotape the cleanup and create a DVD that will be used for environmental education programs.
In addition to the cleanup, Dixie Divers is attempting to break the Guinness Book of World Records for longest underwater human chain. Divers will join hands underwater. Last year 386 divers participated, breaking the previous record. This year, Dixie Divers has stated their goal for 700 divers, almost doubling last year’s participation.
- Registration and equipment unloading will begin at 7:30am. Unload in front of the pier.
- Park for free at the parking lot on the side of the Deerfield Beach fire station. Ninety spots are available on a first come, first served basis.
- Divers must have a C card or certification number and sign a liability release before entering the water.
- Dives from the beach will take place between 9am and 11am. Please bring cutting tools and a small rake to help with cleanup.
- On land volunteers can help from shore or atop the pier.
A free event t-shirt and goodie bag will be provided to volunteers who pre-register online at racersignup.com/world-record-attempt-largest-clean-up-underwater/volunteer.
To register for the Guinness World Record Attempt, please visit racersignup.com/world-record-attempt-largest-clean-up-underwater/register/.
For more information contact Dixie Divers at 954-420-0009.
For more Deerfield Beach news and events information, read Deerfield Beach! magazine and search our website.