by Jeff Levine, Pompano Beach News columnist
In our fast changing media world it’s hard to know the best resources to find the most and best truly local Pompano Beach news and information.
For the big stories, the newspaper is still the place to go to learn the details. For example, the Sun-Sentinel has done an excellent job covering the horrific Parkland shooting and aftermath. We’d love to see them win a Pulitzer Prize for their excellent long-term reporting on what happened, why it happened and what can be done to prevent it from happening again. Still, all local newspapers have their resources stretched these days and don’t necessarily cover the nitty gritty of the local communities like Pompano Beach the way they used to.
As for TV news, it’s great for crime stories, especially murders, but honestly not much else unless you have a specific complaint for Help Me Howard.
We may be biased, but we are very proud of the local Pompano Beach news and events coverage that we offer in our Pompano! magazine. We work hard to give you a complete picture of what is happening in the Pompano Beach area and hope you approve. Still, the magazine comes out once a month, so where should you go to learn about your community on a daily basis?
We’ve compiled a list of websites and Facebook pages where you can find Pompano Beach news, Pompano Beach events and the opinions of your neighbors in Pompano Beach.
Pompano Beach Websites
- The official City of Pompano Beach website is a great place to find out information about city services, jobs and city sponsored events. You can even pay your water bill online.
- Eventbrite is a national website that actually does a pretty good of compiling local Pompano Beach events and things to do.
- Interesting in learning more about the history of Pompano Beach? The Pompano Beach Historical Society does a good job telling the story of our past? Do you know what and where the Kester Cottages were or the story of the illegal casino and speakeasy in Pompano Beach? I’m guessing you don’t, but if you go to the Historical Society’s site, you can learn the very interesting answers.
- To find pictures of old Pompano Beach, just Google “Pompano Beach History”, click on the “Images” tab and you will find a treasure trove of photographs – from the early downtown to postcards from beachfront motels. And, yes you’ll also see what the casino and the Kester Cottages looked like.
- OK, we’ve got to toot our own horn for a second. Our Pompano Beach news page will keep you up to date plus we’ve got events listings, reviews and more.
Pompano Beach oriented Facebook pages
There are a bunch of Facebook pages providing info on different aspects of Pompano Beach life. Some are updated more than others. Realize, all you have to do is like the page and then their posts should automatically pop up in your newsfeed. Here are some of the best we found:
- There are several pages that you can join to get recommendations on restaurants and services from your neighbors as well as other info on events and things going on around Pompano Beach. Two of the best are: Pompano Beach Florida Neighborhood Page, and the Pompano Beach Florida Residents Group. Both are updated regularly and provide a great way to get to know the people who live in our city.
- A page that’s a bit more news oriented is Pompano Beach, Fl. It doesn’t seem to updated all that often but it has some interesting news stories that you might miss otherwise. A similar page is Pompano Beach Happenings. It’s run by a local real estate maven, so if you don’t mind a little self-promotion, it contains some interesting Pompano Beach news and events posts.
- If you’ve lived in the area for a while, the Remembering “The Old” Pompano/Deerfield/LHP page is really cool. People reminisce about places they used to go when they cut school, the bars and restaurants they used to hang out in and lots more about the funside of the history of Pompano Beach.
- Three Facebook pages to help you find things to do in Pompano Beach are: Pompano Beach CRA, Pompano Beach Florida-Events, and Pompano Beach Arts. All three offer a smattering of upcoming Pompano Beach events and can be useful in helping you plan your weekend.
- And, of course, last but not least, a plug for our page: Pompano Beach News & Info. We do our best to keep you up on Pompano Beach news, Pompano Beach events and some fun information you probably won’t find anywhere else (like this post for example).
We’re living in a fast growing and every changing community. We hope this list of websites and Facebook pages will help keep you better informed about everything happening in Pompano Beach.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_single_image image=”7139″ img_size=”full”][/vc_column][/vc_row]